The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Wednesday, December 31, 2008

IF I WERE INVISIBLE



When Kristy was small she had a big thing about being invisible. She liked the idea of going around unnoticed - but mostly she liked the idea of being able to eat all the candy she wanted. One year she wrote the following:

"If I were invisible I would go down to the candy store and eat all of the candy (in the candy store). The lady (the desk clerk) wouldn't even notice. She would only see candy disappearing (into my mouth). Then the lady would really be scared. She would probably faint. (That would be good.) That's one good thing about being invisibly.

There are bad things about being invisible. Like if you wanted to see yourself in the mirror. If someone was looking for you you couldn't be seen. Your Mom and your family would ignore you too! That would NOT be fun, like the candy in the candy store.

I could sneak up on people and haunt houses so no one would come in. Then I would have a real good time too. I could get candles and walk around. The people wouldn't see anyone holding the candles so they'd really be scared. I could take knives with ketchup and walk around that would be even scarier.

These kind of thing would make it fun to be invisible and some things it wouldn't be fun at all!"

This was a preview of what Kristy turned out to be as an adult. She preferred to be behind the scenes. But she had a wicked sense of humor to be sure. She had that blend of lightening quick intelligence blended with the ability to make you see how hilarious everything really was. I remember once telling her a joke and she didn't respond. So I explained the joke. Wrong. She told me if I ever had to explain a joke it wasn't really funny. She was right.

It goes without saying - she never explained her jokes!

Today's workout: 60 minutes Cross Train at gym. My legs are sore from yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment