The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Thursday, December 11, 2008

MY VIEW - THE WINDOW

Images of myself
I feel I should recognize
the girl whose present is sealed
as someone else's past
unaware of the stranger's eyes
that study them through time
what secret does she long to tell me
what thought has she caressed
in the darkness of my drawer
I want to hold her close
and absorb those stolen parts
that wail the need for change
the senselessness would achieve a logic
a dense weave would collect my pieces
and give my peace it's sustenance
dreams they mock of promises
the girl will haunt my present
until the camera snaps again
to shave this splintered grain
- Kristy Gough
When I read Kristy's poem I was reminded of a passage in Man and His Symbols by Carl Jung. "Modern man protects himself against seeing his own split state by a system of compartments. Certain areas of outer life and of his own behavior are kept, as it were, in separate drawers and are never confronted with one another."
In my own experience there are many thoughts and emotions I have which seem to be caught in this limbo of compartmentalization. They seem ready to spring out at any unforeseen moment. If they were all "out" at the same time would they form a whole, a "dense weave" as it were? And would this explain all the secrets or illuminate all the dark passages? It may be man's basic instincts we are trying to reconcile. It may also be dissociation for psychological complacency.
In any case, Jung goes on to say: "The sad truth is that man's real life consists of a complex of inexorable opposites - day and night, birth and death, happiness and misery, good and evil. We are not even sure that one will prevail against the other, that good will overcome evil, or joy defeat pain. Life is a battleground. It always has been, and always will be; and if it were not so, existence would come to an end."

No comments:

Post a Comment