The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Thursday, January 1, 2009

A LIFE DIFFERENT

I would like to share a letter I received from a man who spent less than a week with my daughter. As a professional athlete Kristy was sometimes able to stay with other athletes when traveling to a remote location to compete. This process had it's ups and downs. It provided a wonderful opportunity for someone just getting started, who might not have the ability to finance such a trip. It gave her a warm place to stay, food and a place to sleep. But as Kristy would later tell me it also meant constant interaction answering all sorts of sports related questions. Sometimes it could be exhausting. Kristy was a caring and sensitive person and never let this show. Indeed she was always so thankful for anyone's help. She talked very fondly of these 6 days.

I received this letter 3 months after Kristy died:

Dear Karen,

You don't know who I am. I live in Coeur d'Arlene, Idaho. Yesterday was IronMan Coeur d'Alene. Last week, I just happened to Google Kristy's name into the search box. I was curious as to what she had been up to in the triathlon world. I was stunned to see that she had been killed in a crash with a vehicle. I was overwhelmed with sadness and I still am.

Two years ago, Kristy just happened into our lives here in Coeur d'Arlene. You see, that was the year that we hosted a professional triathlete here in our home and that athlete was Kristy. She was only in our lives for six days, but she was such a pleasure to be around and to have around. I felt a bond with Kristy. She was so much like I was when I was 30 years old. To quote Dustin Hoffman in the movie, THE GRADUATE, "I just wanted my life to be different." I think Kristy was a lot like that too. I admired her personality, her determination and her outlook on life. She had so many admirable qualities about her that I really related to. I simply felt a connection to her.

I can't imagine the pain that you must feel over the loss of her. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope in some small way that this letter makes you feel just a little bit better and in some way can brighten your day. God bless you.

And it did brighten my day. I am so proud of my little girl. My friend and my teacher.

Today's workout: I thought about you as I do every time I run at the lake where we used to go. It was a beautiful day and there were so many people out running. I have never seen so many people running the lake - and then I remembered it was New Year's Day. Another mile stone without you. I completed my 6 miles with aching legs and an aching heart. But then I remembered this letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment