The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Thursday, December 4, 2008

CROSS TRAINING

I have been running for months but have not been doing any cross training. My schedule today calls for 50 minutes. Instead of running to the gym to do spin or rowing I opted to stay home and do one of my exercise videos by The Firm. This one is called Body Sculpt - 50 minutes of low impact upper and body weight training. Felt good! Tomorrow is a rest day. REST! What is that?

Kristy would always plan her rest day for Monday. That way we could sit in front of the TV and watch all the programs recorded on my Tivo over the weekend. She loved all things weird: Dexter and Flight of the Concords to name a few. When she was a little girl she would watch Talk Soup and Kids in the Hall. She learned early what good comedy was all about! She ended up really liking American Idol. And had a strange fascination with America's Next Top Model. I think she thought it was a comedy as well.

I didn't deserve a rest day but I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to spend the afternoon with her for anything! She was the kind of person who could always surprise you with what came out of her mouth. But Jack and Karma loved her attention and she was sure to give it. The above photo is Kristy with Sonya.
Today's workout: 50 minutes of strength training

No comments:

Post a Comment