The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Tuesday, December 9, 2008

CHANGES




This is a photo of me about 4 years ago and one of me today. After running for months and trying everything I could do to wear myself out. I admit I started running as a way to feel closer to Kristy. Going to the same place, doing the same workout and even wearing her clothes. It has kept me sane and provided a way for me to forget - if even for a short time. My mind runs free during the times I traverse these miles. Usually good memories come back to me. How far I have come.

When I first started going to the lake Kristy would tell me I should "really go the back way, it's much less crowded". It was true. There were never many people on this trail. It wasn't paved so it got dirty during the rainy season. It was very hilly so not many people walked their dogs on it. It wasn't nearly as manicured. But it was glorious! I remember asking her if she thought it was safe because it was so deserted. She turned and looked at me with a crooked little smile and said, "Yes mom. It's safe..." In that moment I felt as if I was the child and she was the adult. I often felt like that around Kristy. She had a way of letting me know when I was being foolish.

Kristy bought me my first pair of running shoes. She and her boyfriend picked them out for Christmas about 3 years ago. I wore them to the gym to workout. She started going to the gym with me and even worked out a routine for me. One day a girl walked up to me asked me if Kristy was my daughter. When I told her she was in fact my daughter she said, "It's so nice to see families working out together! I wish I could work out with my mom". This only helped confirm to me how truly special our relationship was!

I remember once when I was getting into Kristy's car with her right after working out in the swimming pool together. It was in the dead of summer and the car was like an oven. We put our towels over the seat so we wouldn't get burned. She then told me the last time she had been to the gym she did something out of the ordinary which really made her feel good. She had been changing her clothes and went to the sink area to comb her wet hair and put it back in a pony tail. She saw a woman who was doing the same thing. Kristy said she had obviously put a lot of effort into getting ready and she looked nice. So Kristy told her how nice she looked.

That's it. That's all it takes sometimes.

Today's workout: 50 minutes cross training on recumbent bike. Followed by stretching and crunches.


No comments:

Post a Comment