The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Tuesday, December 16, 2008

TERRIER PANTS


Christmas with Ella (daughter of step-father Dave). Kristy loved this red terrier robe. It nearly matched her one pair of flannel pajama bottoms which were also covered in terriers! Kristy also loved Ella who she said was wise beyond her years. Kristy told me she did not plan on having children. There were many reasons but suffice it to say she did not spend much time coddling other people's tots either. Ella was different. So different in fact Kristy dedicated one afternoon a week as "Ella Time".

One day Kristy came home and placed a shinny sticker on my forehead. She had several on her face. She said Ella insisted everyone wear one. Other stories emerged of them walking down the street and waving to all the truck drivers. If you knew of Kristy's reserved nature around strangers you would appreciate this inconsistency!

I spent months trying to find another pair of terrier pants for Kristy. It took me forever but I finally found them. I could hardly wait! When I proudly gave them to her that Christmas she said, "Mom, I already have a pair. I appreciate the sentiment, but one pair is enough." And that's the way she lived her life. She kept what she needed but no more.

I took the pants back but I still have that little sticker.

1 comment:

  1. I love all of the memories that you are sharing with us. Kristy was such a wonderful person...she is remembered with so much love.

    ReplyDelete