The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Tuesday, December 30, 2008

CANDY LAND



When Kristy was 11 years old she wrote this little essay:

"If there was a place where I could go to leave humanity the place would be Candy Land. I would go there and there would be candy houses. Big lolly pop trees.

How I would get there is by walking through a tree, then the hole in the tree would close and lock only I would have the key. I would need this place because I could eat a lot. I could get away from everyone too."

Kristy was 30 years old this year. But she never lost her taste for candy. We both had the inability to stop once we started eating sweets. For this reason Kristy started "rationing out" sweets by bringing me only small portions at a time. She and I had a love for candied ginger and she would bring me a bag from the health food store with only 2-3 small pieces. They sold it by the pound but she would just bring me this small tiny bag. It was so cute!

Every time I see a piece of candied ginger I think back to this sweet gesture. I haven't been brave enough to buy any or even go back to the local store where we used to shop. But maybe someday.
Today's workout: 11 mile run at the lake. Miles 7 and 8 were temp runs! Maybe working out at a higher altitude has really helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment