The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Monday, December 22, 2008

KITTENS, KITTENS, KITTENS!


One day when I was cleaning up the back yard I happened upon a trio of tiny kittens. They were no bigger than newborn mice at the time. I must have surprised the mother because she was no where to be found. I didn't want to leave them as they were only hidden by a clump of grass at the side of the house. So I went and found a shoe box and brought them inside.

Soon our fate was sealed. Kristy and I became surrogate mothers for these kittens - on call 24 hours a day! We put heated bags of rice in bed with them to keep them warm while I went to the store and got some special little bottles and formula. At first we would have to squirt the milk in their mouths but they soon began eating like there was no tomorrow and Kristy and I had to take shifts.

We had so much fun watching them grow. Each one had it's own personality! As soon as they heard us they would start mewing. They were so infested with fleas we resorted to giving them each a bath in a little mixing bowl.

Finally we knew the time had come to find them a home. Kristy called around and found a foster home for them. She drove 20 miles with the kittens crawling all over her! They refused to stay inside the shoe box! The lady she gave them to said they were so well nourished - in fact their stomachs were dragging the floor!

I will never forget this time together. Playing with the kittens on the kitchen floor and watching them pounce on each other. Kristy had a heart as big as anything I have ever seen.

Today's workout: Rest

No comments:

Post a Comment