The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Saturday, December 20, 2008

VINEMAN 2007


The following is an enthusiastic race report from Kristy in the summer of 2007. This was always a fun time together. This would be her last Vineman race.

Hi there,

Last weekend I raced the 70.3 Vineman and placed 8th in a very strong lineup. It's a big deal event here in California, and the field it draws is always very comprehensive. Both the Full and Half Ironman World Champions lined up as well as an excellent group of strong women.

I was happy to race and see what my latest training block has yielded. I have been concentrating on the bike for the last 5 weeks and as a result I had a PR on the bike (2:31) and the run (1:32). This was excellent news and confirms my suspicions that the key to running well off the bike is almost completely about the bike, as I haven't done any running intensity. I can't emphasize this enough, and with a little quality run training, I will be flying.

There is another side to this rosy coin, and that's the swim. I have neglected this sport while settling into the new bike coaching and training, and as a result lost a LOT of time on the swim. But I was ready for this and will now spread my focus to this area. With proper swim training I am very capable of closing much of this gap.

I've gotten a much later start this year than I usually do, but this will allow me to finish the season very strong. I'm making excellent progress, and expect to pass along some great results soon!


Thank you for your support!
Best,
Kristy

Top 10 Women:
Sam McGlone Colorado Springs, CO 28 F 04:16:36
Michellie Jones Carlsbad, CA 38 F 04:21:30
Melissa Ashton Newtown 34 F 04:24:12
Alexis Waddel Monterey, CA 32 F 04:26:24
Dede Griesbauer Boston, MA 37 F 04:27:00
Kelly Couch San Mateo, CA 30 F 04:39:16
Cynthia Wilson Gatineau 33 F 04:39:46
Kristy Gough Oakland, CA 30 F 04:41:29
Lara Brown San Francisco, CA 27 F 04:42:31
Teri Albertazzi Tucson, AZ 35 F 04:50:13

Today's workout: 5 miles on treadmill. Now that I am visiting my sister in New Mexico I am working out at the local gym with her. Instead of running in the morning as I am used to, I am running at the end of her workday around 5:00 pm. This has been a challenge for me as well as the high altitude (nearly a mile). I hope to be able to run more miles next week as I acclimate to all the changes. It is snowing here and very cold so outside is not really an option!