The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Friday, January 9, 2009

SELF EXPRESSION


Kristy on her bike in our living room

Dear Kristy’s Family,

One morning four or five months ago at The Five Rings gym I was alone with Kristy. Vladimir gave us a long weight circuit set and went back to his desk, and as we rotated between the stations we talked. It was the only time I ever talked to her alone at length, and the sincerity of the things she said made them especially poignant. I am 55 and confessed to her my dwindling motivation to exercise because the best I could do at my age was slow the decline.

She paused and replied that for her training and racing were the way she expressed herself. She rephrased it three times, as though the idea was taking better shape each time she said it. Without saying more she made me realize why I was focusing on the wrong thing. I think she meant to tell me that the effort and the process are themselves the reward. The power of her will to succeed was itself the expression of inner spirit and the truest victory.

I will never forget this lesson from Kristy. Kristy was the essence of life and youth and beauty. All of the lives she touched are richer for it.

Sheldon Finch

No comments:

Post a Comment