The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Sunday, January 11, 2009

SWEETHEARTS


My birthday is in a few days. As this will be my first birthday without her I am going to post some of the cards she has given me through the years.

The cards say, "I pondered what to get for your birthday. I struggled, I wracked my brain and finally I decided.....The hell with it -- I don't need this stress."

In Kristy's handwriting at the bottom of the card it says, "This card was written with me in mind. I hope you do something fun and new today. I'm thinking about you. I'm going to call you in the morning, but just wanted to put it in writing: I LOVE YOU! Here are some sweethearts for the sweet, and some pictures I've taken lately - Love, Kristy"

Included in the card was a pack of hard candies shaped like hearts. You know, like the ones you used to get when you were a little kid from a secret Valentine. I still have this package of candy hearts - I couldn't bear to eat them. I'm so glad I saved them! And in my opinion the funniest part of the card was her line "This card was written with me in mind." This was so Kristy!

Today's workout: 60 minutes cross training. I am gearing up for next week which will be the hardest training week to date. I will be running the full race distance of 13 miles. After this the next two weeks will be easier in preparation for the race - just two short weeks away!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment