The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Tuesday, January 6, 2009

MY DELICATE FLOWER



I thought I might post a few of the cards Kristy sent me through the years. I especially liked this one. In case you can't make out the writing, the outside says: "Happy Birthday Mom - From your sweet, precious angel, Your demure, delicate flower...Your living, breathing example of sugar and spice and everything nice!"

On the inside is a little bird saying: "Whaddaya mean, you don't know anybody like that...It's me, your daughter!! (Geez, Mom...ain't it obvious?) Anyway, Have a Good One."

The little bird has something written by Kristy above it: "Check out the glitter! I went all out!" At the bottom of the card Kristy wrote:

"I just talked to you. I did get this card in time, but the sending thing always presents a major problem... I'm glad to hear you are focusing more on your health! That should help me have decades of opportunities to get this right! Love, Kristy"

It's bitter sweet to look back on this now and remember our conversations. She was trying to get me to improve my health so I would be sure to be around for a long time. This would enable her to have the "decades" to get the "sending thing" right. It never even crossed my mind that I might lose her one day.

I am thankful for every little thing I have which used to be hers. They serve as a catalyst for the memories I wish to never forget. Right after she died I remembered a short video I shot of her on my new digital camera. She was dancing in the kitchen with her boyfriend Clas. It was so sweet, and I showed it to them. As time went on it eventually was replaced by other photos and must have been erased at some point. When I couldn't find it I remember feeling hysterical - looking everywhere for the video clip. If I could only find it I would still have something. I could watch it over and over. And why did I erase her phone messages? Why didn't I keep at least one of them?

Through the years I have kept every single card or letter she had ever sent to me. When I was cleaning out the attic a few months ago I found a shoe box. I opened it and found she had kept every one of my letters as well.

Yes, you were my demure, delicate flower. My precious angel, my living example of sugar and spice and everything nice.

Today's workout: I was happy to find that eating half a pizza last night gave me renewed energy for my workout this morning. 7 miles on the treadmill followed by stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment