The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Friday, January 9, 2009

"I'M NOT A SPRINTER"




Two things I remember were from the same ride around Brisbane a few weeks back.

1. Sam was working for me and Kristy was another "team" for that exercise. Sam laid it down up the hill and I was struggling to stay on his wheel, when I noticed Kristy with only a slight purse to her lips and doing most of her breathing through her nose. She turned up the pace and it was only her and I left. I jumped out of the saddle and just managed to pip her at the line. She had seen me jump and was sitting on my wheel, in the saddle just matching my pace, while I was out of saddle trying to get every ounce of power I could. She rode by my just after the finish line and said "that was good, I'm not a sprinter or anything". Well I am a sprinter and I was near my max output. Kristy wasn't sprinting, she was just riding on my wheel calm as you like.

2. On that same ride we were stopping after each lap to discuss strategy and so on. After one lap Kristy rolled up and said, "Are we going to keep going or do we need to stop and chat ." Hilarious... The whole rest of ride we joked about needing to express our feelings. She was awesome, funny and talented. The complete package...

Anthony Borba, Third Pillar
__________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment