The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Friday, January 2, 2009

NEVER GIVE UP


This photo was taken when Kristy was 16 and she went to an all girl's school in Virginia. As a brand new student, she quickly showed herself to be an outstanding athlete. In one of the first Newsletters I received from the school there was this article in the Varsity Basketball section.

"The combination of point guard Kristy Gough '96 (new to the school and to the position) and shooting guard Allison Buchko '94 presented real problems for the competition. Kristy Gough '96 was elected to the All League Team at the recent Independent School League coaches meeting."

Kristy's coach wrote to me in March 1994:

"Kristy is an exceptional athlete and possibly the most naturally gifted player to come to Madeira in some time. She is smart and brave. I was proud of her for handling the pressure of displacing a senior and coming into the point-guard position at mid-season. She is learning to lead a team. To reach her potential, however, she is going to have to work harder to be part of the team when her natural inclination is to be alone. Above all, she must develop the patience with herself and tolerance of others needed for leadership. As her character on and off the court develops, there will be no stopping her. I am thrilled by the prospect of watching her develop."

Indeed these words would prove to be prophetic. As Kristy grew in her abilities she also discovered many things about herself which she used to her advantage. She was her own harshest critic and at the same time her own prime motivator. When she witnessed her first Iron Man race on television she instinctively knew this was for her. She never tired of perfecting herself in the sport and found it to be the greatest of mental and physical challenges. One in which she never, ever, grew tired.

I am thankful for all the mentoring she received when she was a young woman searching for a way to express herself. Kristy would never have stopped pushing herself to achieve more. I admire her more and more every day. As I run each day and push myself towards a goal I realise how much just the sport of running takes. There are so many silent moments where you ask yourself to give more, push harder, to raise the bar once more. And you never give up. Whenever I feel I am about ready to stop I always think of Kristy and her indomitable spirit. And I try to go forward with the grace and goodness she always chose to give others.

No comments:

Post a Comment