The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Thursday, January 8, 2009

IMAGINE



The lake was beautiful this morning. It was cold and misty with no one around. The early morning is always the best time to run.

As I was running I thought about all the help and support I have received. A dear friend of mine sent me this note a few months ago:

"I got your card today, Karen, and of course I was touched once again with the sadness that comes from contemplating Kristy's death and how deeply this has hurt you. But I am optimistic, too, that even as it becomes a part of you, this hurt is still only a part of you, not the whole, and that your nature will not let it stop you from being fully of this world and in this world, for yourself and as an example for everyone who also has to endure the loss of Kristy." It is friends like this, my family, and others, who have made the difference.

I am hopeful the stories of Kristy's life will achieve this for each person who takes the time to read them. Kristy is gone but she will never be forgotten. She is now a part of all of us. Her poems bear her soul and show us a deeply spiritual being. Stories of what she did and who she was can make us all better human beings. Thank you.

Today's workout: This was the longest run of the training to date. I am happy to say I ran the full 12 miles in one fell swoop. The last mile was the hardest, but as I passed by "that" hill (where Kristy pushed me up on the bicycle) I yelled out "Bring it on!" But that's another story.....

No comments:

Post a Comment