The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Thursday, January 1, 2009

OF LOVE AND TRUTH


Kristy puts a new roof on the house

It is with the greatest sadness, shock, and sheer disbelief that I write this. Kristy, where ever you are right now, I want you to know how much I love you, respect you, and how I hold you in the highest regard and esteem. This is such an injustice and a tragedy like none I've ever experienced. You touched my life in such a deep, profound way, and I am honored to have had you in my life. You made me a better human being.

Kristy was truly a radical feminist in her own right though she would never chose those words or identify as such. She would school anyone who showed ego or disrespect, but always in a subtle, non-presuming or unpretentious way. She was fiercely independent and resourceful. (I'll never forget calling her one day to find out that she was taking a break from re-roofing her house and was simultaneously reading a how-to book on roofing and "Robinson Crusoe".)

She had such courage of conviction and such strength in body, mind, and spirit. While many may have seen an INITIALLY stoic and hard exterior, Kristy was so loving, deeply caring, and insightful. Besides being an incredible athlete, she was also extremely bright, insightful, and beautiful - inside and out. In addition to having an acerbic wit, she was always very truthful, very real, and forthright. She called things like she saw them; I always took her advice to heart and sought her opinion in times of happiness and drama. She had wisdom far beyond her years. But in all this, she had the ability to laugh at herself, reminding me also not to take myself too seriously. I admired her humility and her talent, and sought her out when I needed "the truth."

She leaves a deep void that will never be filled.I send my greatest condolences to Kristy's family and those touched by her in ways big and small. I wish my words could do more justice to the incredible person she was but I am afraid they are failing me now.

Kristianna, you will be so missed! - Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment