The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Saturday, January 3, 2009

OVERWORKED & UNDERPAYED




When Kristy was 13 she described herself to her classmates:

Busy. Friendly. Overworked and underpayed.

Sister to Laurissa, Gabe and Valient.

Lover of basketball, Friday nights and parties.

Who feels sad on Monday morning and happy when Dominoes arrives at the door and ecstatic at 3:01.

Who fears phone restriction, report card season, and huge projects.

Who would like to see 49ers win the Super Bowl, my 6th period teacher drop dead, and school end at 12:00.
Resident of San Leandro.


She also wrote this essay about dogs:

"If I were a dog I would have an easy life. First, I would make sure that I had a nice loving family. I would run around all day. Then I would sleep a little and eat a LOT! I would have a lazy life.

Well...one day I was outside chasing a bird when 'Jane' opened the door and called me in, and since I was so muddy I knew it meant a bath for sure. So then I ran away. Finally, she caught me and sure enough took me to the bathroom and gave me a bath. Then I was taken for a walk, but when Jane went into the store I escaped and ran to the lake and chased all the gulls around, and by the time I work up from my nap it was very dark. So I ran all the way home and found my worried family waiting. That night I was allowed to sleep on Jane's bed. It was a very good day."


Today's workout: 11 mile run at the lake. This should have been a shorter run but I felt I needed to make up for all the time I spent on the treadmill while the weather was poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment