The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Tuesday, June 16, 2009

WANNA FLY?

A spectacular sunset in New Mexico

I just finished reading "Song of Solomon", by Toni Morrison. Kristy had told me I would like it but I had never gotten around to actually reading the whole book. I could hardly put it down. I finished the last sentence just as the plane set down on my return trip from visiting my sister Kim.

Kristy made a notation of this passage, which I thought was so like her. She was still a teenager when she read this book but even back then she knew what she wanted.

"All Jewelry weighs it down. Like vanity. Can't nobody fly with all that shit. Wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down."

Kristy had certainly given it all up. And man, could she fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment