The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Saturday, June 13, 2009

GETTING WHAT YOU WANT



Kristy was a profoundly gifted person. Not only in her athletic endeavors, but in her mind and heart as well. In this quote from one of her letters it shines through:

"Say you teach yourself to fish in the most pure, untouched waters and you catch beautiful fish with the most delectable flesh. But what happens between meals? And what if something completely out of your control (or the fish, for that matter) happens- A flood, a drought, a foreign algae invasion that wipes out the fish? Only you will remain,the fish and the waters will come and go.

Maybe it's not about where or what you "fish", but more about what's going on inside you when you get what you want, and when you don't."
- Kristy Gough, 2008

How seldom do we get what we want.

1 comment:

  1. Today is my birthday. I am 35 years old.
    earlier there was a minor mishap (in the kitchen that had to do with butter) and something I was really really looking forward to was gone away. then i read this. wow. Kristy... you are an amazing creature and you are so alive within me. thank-you for you. always

    ReplyDelete