The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Saturday, June 20, 2009

PERSEVERANCE


In February 2005 Kristy sent the above post card to her Aunt Kim

Hi Kim!

I was thinking about you today. I'm so impressed with your perseverance in school! I wanted to take a moment to lay out a couple of facts:

1. You are awesome

2. I'm here (somewhere in this picture) working toward my own goal. %+) I think you would really like it here. The people here are generally very 'outdoor-minded.' We do some open water swimming around the boats I circled in the picture. Many of the bike routes go up and over the hills and ridge that sit over the bay.

We (my boyfriend Clas, and I) will be heading up to Taupo on Wednesday. Clas is racing Ironman New Zealand on March 5th. He was 2nd last year, and this one promises to be exciting. Check out Ironmanlive.com if you think about it. Hope you are doing well and hope to see you soon!

Love, Kristy

What Kristy didn't mention is that she was first in her age group the year before at the same race. She also set a course record. Even as an amateur she had been faster on the course than any female before her - professional or amateur. It was not like Kristy to boast. She was in fact very proud of her Aunt Kim who had gone to school to get her Masters in Business while working full time.

Kristy admired perseverance. She had a Masters Degree in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment