The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Friday, February 20, 2009

YOU SHOULD DO IT!


Kristy living her dream

I took something else away from a recent interview with Nikki Giovanni (see entries for February 18, 19).

Giovanni spoke about the difference between her mother and her grandmother. One thing she said brought back a vivid memory of a recurring conversation I would have with Kristy. Giovanni was close to both her mother and her grandmother, but when faced with life altering decisions, her mother would say to her "You can do it". Her grandmother would say to her, "You should do it".

Implicit in these affirmations is that one confirms the ability to make something happen, the other the need to make it happen. When Kristy and I would talk about making changes in our life she would say to me, "You should DO IT". We all like to have a pep talk with someone who knows we can do it, but what action we chose is really up to us alone.

Maybe the difference is not readily apparent. What Giovanni emphasized is that her grandmother wanted to affect change and was driving her to make a difference - not just telling her she was capable of doing so.

Kristy's unwavering drive to make a difference is something I love and admire about my daughter. She was truly the bravest of souls. I am drawn back to this particular conversation all the time. All the excuses I gave her for why I couldn't achieve my desire. In the end, I know she is right. So what am I waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment