The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Thursday, February 5, 2009

CHOOSING LIFE


Photo by Kristy's brother Val

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us
are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.

"Faith does not require a belief system, and is not necessarily connected to a deity or God. Faith is not a commodity we either have or don't have - it is an inner quality that unfolds as we learn to trust our own deepest experience. Faith links our present-day experience whether wonderful or terrible, to the underlying pulse of life itself. It is the animation of the heart that says, "I choose life, I align myself with the potential inherent in life, I give myself over to that potential." It is ignited the moment we think, I am going to try." (excerpts from Faith by Sharon Salzberg)

I found the above in a book in Kristy's small rag tag library. Like all her books it did not contain any markings or underlinings and her name was not printed inside the cover, but it looked well loved. Just knowing she had read these words gave me comfort.

Today as I go forward I will be carrying a piece of you with me in these words.

No comments:

Post a Comment