The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Tuesday, February 24, 2009

REFRIGERATOR CHAMP


Kristy landing a knock-out punch

I found this little picture in Kristy's box of letters and mementos. She had saved quite a few over the years. This particular one made me remember the time I was creating these scenes as little magnets for her refrigerator. She thought it was so funny to see herself as a boxer in the ring. When other people saw it they would say to her, "When were you a boxer?"

With Kristy you never really knew - she had done so many things. Many of them seemed nearly impossible to imagine. Like the time she got on her motorcycle and decided to ride across the whole United States with nothing but a tent and a backpack. At night she would stop by the side of the road and cook her meal. She ended up running smack dab into a tornado and had to make other arrangements. I'll never forget the phone call. "Mom, um, my motorcycle is totalled by the side of the road. Would you help me to get back home?"

Now I am the one stuck by the side of the road. My heart will wait forever to hear her voice.
Today's run - 6 miles at the lake. Today the rain stopped and it was sunny again!

No comments:

Post a Comment