The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Monday, February 23, 2009

ART HAS POWER



After Kristy died I was unable to do any drawing or painting for months. One day I picked up my brush and this is what happened. It is nothing like any art I have ever created. My usual portraits are very realistic and detailed.

I think I was trying to recreate the feeling of power I felt whenever I was around Kristy. As a visual artist I have always been drawn to the power of hope, determination and personal peace. I realize now this is the common thread in all my art. Some people are drawn to the beauty of nature. Of course I am too, but my inner desire is drawn to how that natural beauty is reflected back into the world through the eyes of another. At the time I painted this I wanted to feel her power, as if she were now timeless and eternal - radiant with love and all that made Kristy who she was. I hope those that know her will recognize that part of her when they look at this.

"Art does not happen until the viewer allows it to happen. If the viewer can sense in the work an investment of time and struggle for meaning, then there is trust in the content." - Sue Coe

1 comment:

  1. She looks timeless - as if she might be anywhere from her 30's to her 60's or 70's.

    ReplyDelete