The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Saturday, August 1, 2009

I THEE WED



A whisper echoes in my ears
I'm waiting for you
I can make your life easier
I only want to help

I am small and bent
I cannot bear the load
Today I stopped and I knew
I could weep no more

For my eyes are dark with tears
My throat is tired and sore
A volcano lives in my chest
It is over flowing

So I took you in my hand
With this pill, I thee wed
To honor and obey
From this moment forward

And for my part in wedded bliss
I ask to sleep at night
I ask to lay my burden down
For one tiny solitary moment

Let us be together every day
Let us renew our vows each evening
As the solemn ceremony unfolds
With this cup I take you in

And as I lay me down to sleep
I pray the lord my soul to take
And with this pill I close my eyes
If I should die before I wake

2 comments:

  1. The woman who lost her daughter has been struggling with a loss similar to yours for longer than you have, and you know she would understand your grief better than many such as I who feel the loss of Kristy through you rather than as you do - but you have brought Kristy to life with your blog, making me feel her death is my loss, too. You have done that. In the same wsay, you have made modeled for me how one survives such a tragedy. No one will suffer her loss as much as you have and will, so we will come to terms with the destroyer with less struggle. But sharing your grief hardens and humbles us, perhaps preparing us for our own personal tragedies. Right now, you are the heroic one and we are as proud of you as we are sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krag heard that same NPR story on the way home from work.
    What an honest poem.

    ReplyDelete