The following entries (from beginning runner to half marathon finisher) represents a continuing journey of tremendous grief and sorrow, and of transformation - largely through the therapeutic power of running. The sorrow that has broken my heart open wide has in time allowed me to experience the beauty of being in the present moment. And of course, without the support of family and friends to guide me, I would not have made it this far.

If you have lost someone in your life, I offer these words and verse (some Kristy's, some mine and others) with the hope it may touch your heart and help you heal.
mailto:clarksonart@gmail.com


Friday, April 3, 2009

REMINDERS


Kristy at 9 years in her favorite outfit

There are reminders of you everywhere
Your hair brush
Your books
Your socks
You once gave them a life
They touched
Your hair
Your skin
Your feet
They went on journeys
Ran new trails
Brought forth new horizons
But they sit alone now
A mere shadow
A shell
An outline
A chasm
I put them on
I read them
I hold them close
But they cannot say
They cannot know
They cannot feel
Today
They mock me
with
one
long
goodbye

Dear Kristy, I wrote this poem for you this morning. I was cleaning out a closet and found a book I had been reading; it seems a life time ago. I was keeping my place with a small photo of you. I remember when you and I were discussing the book and we both had a laugh when I showed you the photo. In it you are wearing a very miss-matched outfit. You told me you loved the pants as well as the sweater. It's so true, I remember you wearing them all the time. I wish I had them now.

1 comment: